Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Ka-Bar Zombie War Sword

   As I mentioned in a previous post, I am not too caught up in the whole "Zombie Apocalypse" theory. That isn't to say that I am totally against the whole marketing scheme that manufacturers are currently using. Whether it be movies, books, games, guns or gear; zombies are popular!
   I was in the market for a good camping knife. I didn't want to completely drain my bank account on a knife that I was going to just beat up in the woods. After a decent amount of searching I ran across a reputable company with a stylish looking blade. This was the Ka-Bar Zombie War Sword.

 
   For around $50 to $60 this knife is a steal! Every review I have been able to find on youtube or otherwise has had nothing but good to say about this knife. Even when put under severe stress while batoning wood, the knife has always come back to center. It's big, its tough, what more would you want whether it be surviving the zombie invasion......or camping in the wilderness.

 
   The Zombie War Sword comes packaged with a heavy duty Polyester Nylon sheath, two sets of scales (one set black (pictured) / one set bright green (not pictured), and the "Acheron" skeleton knife. The "Acheron" can also be purchased separately for around $10. The War Sword weighs 11lbs with a blade thickness of .205. (All the items included and a size comparison can be seen above.)



   Both the War Sword and the Acheron beat my expectations. Their blade thickness is quite substantial for this price point. Edge retention is quite exceptional, even after using these blades for various tasks (chopping down small branches, batoning, opening package, etc). I have yet to feel the need to sharpen these blades after multiple uses. I personally use the War Sword for larger tasks while camping. The Acheron I use for food preparation and menial tasks.




   The biggest turn off for some will be that though Ka-Bar is an American company and has a legacy for manufacturing knives in the USA, these two blades are not. Though they are not made in the US, the blades still deliver the quality that Ka-Bar owners have come to expect. Though I failed to research where the steel was coming from, I still am happy to support an American based company that out sourced for matierals.


   The sheath involves a two snap retention system, similar to other Ka-Bar sheaths. The two nylon straps also have a small piece of hook and loop (Velcro) that keep the straps out of the way when unsheathing the blade. This is a great design feature! This keeps one from cutting the straps when the blade is being removed.    Also please note that the Acheron is sheathed just above and below the War Sword. (You can see the handle just sticking out of the inner sheath.) I attempted to snap the button of the sheath between the skeletonized handle but the handle was too thick (and I kept chipping the coating). The blade position ,as picture above, gives enough traction so that the blade is not in danger of slipping out of the sheath when snapped.
   Whether you are in the market for a "zombie defense weapon", a camping knife or possibly even a combat knife, I would encourage you to consider the War Sword. It's fun, it's quality, and it will be a useful tool for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment