Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Smith's Pocket Pal Knife Sharpener

   Before I add an item to my camping gear (Bug out Bag) or EDC, I first consider its usefulness. How often will I use the item? How easy is the item to use? How long will the item last? If I'm going to spend money on something, I want it to last. I am also a firm believer in quality products. Every tool is meant to improve my situation, if the item in question is a hindrance, then what have I profited in using it?
   I wanted to add a tool to sharpen my knives. I carry a small assortment of files to sharpen my axes but it really wasn't practical for fine sharpening work. I considered purchasing a diamond coated rod but after shopping around I ran across something that fitted my needs much better. An item manufactured by Smith's called the Pocket Pal Knife Sharpener I discovered was perfect.


   Smith's item PP1 is a small hand held knife sharpener. It comes with a tapered diamond coated rod that is 400 grit and folds underneath the tool. It also comes with carbide blades to set an edge to most knives and a ceramic set of stones to hone an edge. The ceramic stones are 600 grit. Both the stones and the blades are reversible and replaceable. There is a depression made on both sides of the tool (for holding the device) and a lanyard hole. It can easily fit inside a pocket, purse, backpack, glove box or Altoids's tin.

   I use this device more sharpening knives (obviously) but the type of knives was really surprising. I am able to sharpen my pocket knives, camping knives, kitchen knives, and hunting/skinning knives with no problem. To date, I have not found a knife that I own that I have not been able to sharpen. It has become one of my prized possession and the best thing is, it can be purchased for around $10. If you are looking for a great quality product but don't want to break the budget, look no further than Smith's Pocket Pal Knife Sharpener.

No comments:

Post a Comment